The 2015 Dodge Challenger | A Closer Look

Journalists swarmed the 2015 Challenger 392 HEMI® Scat Pack Shaker. Packing 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque, the Scat Pack is back!

By Steve Magnante

After a brilliantly irreverent two-minute opening video featuring a montage of lovable centenarians urging viewers to live life to the fullest — while reminding us that Dodge celebrates its 100th Anniversary (1914–2014) this year — Dodge brand President and C.E.O. Tim Kuniskis took the stage amid applause, asking, “Is there any other brand that could do that video?”

Like the video, the 2015 Dodge Challenger remains fresh, unique and bold. The most obvious updates are seen at the front and rear of the body, where 1971-inspired treatments have been subtly melded into the grille and tail lamp panels. Standard LED halo headlamps and LED tail lamps further accentuate the heritage styling — with a modern twist.

The new 2015 split-grille styling theme looks especially nice on SXT and SXT Plus models where bright metal outlines the trim. The power bulge hood has taller scoops that have been moved forward. Projector headlamps and LED halos are standard on all 2015 Challengers.

Hoods are also new; the standard power bulge is more defined and its scoops moved forward, while the optional Shaker captures the spirit of the original 1970/71 item perfectly. Inside, an all-new interior revisits the original 1971 E-body Challenger theme with trapezoidal shapes dominating the instrument cluster, door panels and center console. There are also 14 interior color and trim options including a new Houndstooth premium cloth offering.

LED displays outline the redesigned tail lamp panel. The deck-lid spoiler gets a subtle drop-down center section for 2015.

And while there’s plenty of excitement over the 485 horsepower 392 HEMI® engine powering the Challenger 6.4-liter Scat Pack and 392 HEMI® Scat Pack Shaker, let’s not forget Challenger’s many class-exclusive features, including an eight-speed Torqueflite automatic transmission*.

The new interior features real aluminum bezels surrounding the instruments and center console. Twin circular gauge clusters revisit the 1971 “tic-toc-tach” layout. The sculpted steering wheel rim has grip points at 2- and 10-o’clock positions.

With all the attention given to Challenger’s two available HEMI V-8 engines, buyers of Pentastar® 3.6-liter V-6 powered models haven’t been forgotten. New for 2015, the Super Track Pack (0.5-inch lower ride height, Bilstein shocks, high-performance brakes, digital 0-60 acceleration timer, G-force indicator and more) is now optional on Challenger SXT and SXT Plus models powered by the 305 hp Pentastar V-6. And new for all Challengers is electric power steering (EPS), offering drivers a choice of three steering modes, Normal, Comfort and Sport.

Dodge displayed this cut-away 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine. Rated 305-hp in Challenger, 90 percent of the engine’s peak torque output is available from 1,800 to 6,400 rpm.

So here it is, the 2015 Dodge Challenger. The wizened old-timers in the opening video said it best, “Live for now. Be strong. Put the pedal to the metal. Be a bad boy!” Watch your Dodge dealer; the new Challenger is coming soon!

Attention to detail abounds. This whimsical Challenger silhouette logo is imprinted into the edge of the windshield glass.

*Based on the latest available competitive information and Ward’s Middle Specialty Vehicle Segmentation.

10 Comments

• Jeremy Haines
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I really like the 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker but I am holding out for the refreshed SRT Challenger. Hopefully by March 2015 they will be available as it would be a great b-day present for me and look nice next to my Ram.

• epicurus
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Some people will think I’m crazy, but I wish you could get a manual trans with the 6 cyl version of the Challenger. I’ve always preferred manuals, and I like road trips, just thinking the gas mileage would be significantly better with the 6. I can certainly appreciate the Hemi, but I think my ground pounding days are behind me. The Mustang has the 6cyl/manual trans option, but I’m not a Mustang person.

• epicurus
      Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Just to clarify, people might think I’m crazy for wanting a 6cyl, not for wanting a manual.

• Poyla
      Posted June 10, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

A lot of people say they want a 6 stick but Dodge keeps saying nobody wants it. ???

• David
        Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Dodge I would buy a Challenger 6 cylinder only if it has a manual trans otherwise I buy the Mustang 6 with stick.

• p r
      Posted July 25, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Me too. I wish the Pentastar 6M combo was available. I love this engine in my Charger.

• Ray
    Posted June 12, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I was not a real fan of any of the three reborn muscle cars until I saw the 2015 Challenger, specifically the SXT Plus in that stunning blue pearl. I want one!

• GolfFan
    Posted January 1, 2015 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Anybody know when the 15′ R/T Scat Pack 392 Shaker will be available

• Woody58
    Posted March 10, 2015 at 12:19 am | Permalink

I bought a 2015 R/T plus. Jazz blue with V8 hemi, white R/T stripes. Frickin’ awesome!

• Brian
    Posted March 28, 2015 at 8:44 am | Permalink

I have ordered the 2015 392 Scat Pack Shaker in Sublime!!!! Can’t wait for it to come in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One Trackback

• By The 2015 Dodge Challenger | A Closer Look | Bensoncdj's Blog on May 20, 2014 at 7:04 am

[…]   By Steve Magnante   Excitement ran high among the 300-plus automotive journalists gathered in a darkened presentation hall at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Each was there to witness and chronicle the first public showing of the restyled 2015 Dodge Charger and Challenger, presented on the morning of Thursday, April 17, 2014, at the New York International Auto Show.   After a brilliantly irreverent two-minute opening video featuring a montage of lovable centenarians urging viewers to live life to the fullest while reminding us that Dodge celebrates its 100th Anniversary (19142014) this year Dodge brand President Read More […]