The History of Street & Racing Technology (SRT)

Ah, SRT, where would we be without you? Somewhere much slower, we’d guess. Started in 2002 as a performance arm for the entire Chrysler group, the Street and Racing Technology division was created from collecting all the performance know-how in the Chrysler group (yes, that includes the Viper development team and the Dodge motorsports and Mopar® guys) and the focusing of that knowledge into the development of a line of no-nonsense performance vehicles and parts. The man at the helm when SRT started, Dan Knott, credits its success directly to this “team of die-hard enthusiasts leading the engineering efforts.”

The first vehicle to undergo the knife was the humble Dodge Neon, and the SRT-4 transformation was groundbreaking. It instantly became the quickest car under $20K, and shook the import tuning crowd to the core. We still get the warm & fuzzies remembering these days. Since this first Neon, there have been nine other Chrysler group models to receive the treatment. Practically the entire Dodge line got SRT versions, including the Caliber, Magnum, Charger and Challenger, not to mention the bonkers Ram Truck with Viper engine and of course, the Viper itself. The Chrysler Crossfire and 300C also benefited, as well as the Jeep® Grand Cherokee.

Three years after its introduction, a killer perk for SRT owners was announced. Starting in 2005, the SRT Track Experience was started giving all owners of SRT vehicles get a day at the track, complete with professional driving instruction (go to www.driveSRT.com or hit the “Dodge Nation” drop down menu on www.Dodge.com). With more than 25 track days planned throughout each year, this owner’s program has been a blessing for countless SRT buyers curious about what their rides are actually capable of.

So, that’s the SRT story in short. Now the question is, how many of you guys drive one, and how are you liking it? Have you taken advantage of the track day program? Chime in below, we’re curious.

26 Comments

• Posted January 26, 2011 at 12:12 am | Permalink

I love my SRT!!!! I can’t wait to buy another one.

• dannycrane
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 12:37 am | Permalink

I have a magnum r/t can’t afford a srt yet. But I love my Magnum and it will smoke almost anything!

• craig
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Once i have the money and learn how to drive a stick, i wanna get my hands on an SRT4. my buddy has one and its absolutely insane. he’s put so much money into it already.

• Accord 0
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

I disagree it was Dodge Sleath R/T before SRT in 1999

• SaZuL.Ch
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I love that car its an awesome style like 1960
    its ma dream to buy this car

• Posted January 26, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I love and enjoy mine each time I fire it up and drive it.
    And why not.

• Kris
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

I drive the Calibert SRT and love it! Hubby got the Challenger SRT for his 50th birthday and loves it! We’ll have another SRT, a 300, sometime in the future when I turn 50 and we pass the Caliber down to one of our kids……

• alex
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

i the srt challengers cant wait to drive the new 392 hemi

• Cesar Rios
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I love my SRT8 Dodge Charger. I seen my first SRT vehicle in 2003 it was a Dode Neon when I was station at FT.Benning, GA. Then in 2005 I seen a Dodge Charger R/T. At first I did not know what it was, so I fallowed it. The Driver stopped at a Red light, then I Drove to the Dealership go and see it up close and get in one. Sadly at the time I could not afford. But in december 2005 I had the finances to pick 1 up. Sadly once again it was only a V6. The good part about the story is, that in Dec 2006 I finally got a SRT8. . . :)

• Arturo Martinez (REC 26)
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I have the ’06 Charger SRT8. I got to say. I love it!!! No one can convince me to get rid of this ride (and believe me there have been a lot of people that tried.)

• Dan
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

When are we going to get another small affordable SRT car again? And are we ever going to get manual transmissions in any of the non-SRT MoPar lineup?

• Marilyn Ball
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

We have an ’06 SRT8 Charger & love it, very nice car & blast to drive. Love how quiet she is till you want her to roar… We got delivery on her Valentine’s Day in ’06. The SRT line is incredible, keep em rolling.

• Matt
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

you can get a stick in the caliber. What really needs a 6 speed manual is the new charger. With all the new changes, they couldn’t include a stick? Dodge does need another low buck srt

• Posted January 26, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Love my SRT8 Challenger. Rides like a luxury car and runs like rocket. It is well worth the 35 year wait.

• Arizona Pat
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

2006 Charger 426 cubic inch SRT stroker what a way to go!!

• Victor Vazquez
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

i drive one, a neon srt4 2005 with mopar stage 1 @ 20 lbs, i was wandering, when come next 4 cylinders SRT? see you in drag racers

• Clay Morris
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

I have a 2008 Charger SRT8 Superbee…lots of go fast goodies from Mopar make me the envy of all my Mopar (and non-believer) friends!!!

• Rob
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Wasn’t the division called PVO (Performance Vehical Operations) before SRT? SRT stood for STREET ROAD TRACK at that time and was just the tag on the performance line when PVO came out. The PVO name was confusing to consumers so i heard and they dropped it. Changed the division to STREET AND RACING TECH and the rest is beautiful history.

I still have a PVO tshirt stored away from that short bit of history.

• chuckz
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

I have been watching the SRT web site for years and noticed that since October of last year, there are no drive dates scheduled for 2011. Please have the web person update the site with new information.

• chuckz
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

If you register for the SRT driving event, you can see the dates available. I would like to see the dates listed under the Schedule tab, plus other events in the area.

• IndyRider
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Regarding the Track Day, I redeemed mine at LVMS in October 2010. Great experience, and I encourage anyone regardless of whether they own an SRT to take part in this cool offering from Dodge.

Regarding love for my SRT, it was full on until both key fobs failed last night. Very low mile car, 2010 model, so hopefully this isn’t a sign of something going bad within…

• RTMan TX
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

We bought a 2008 Avenger R/T new of the showroom floor in Dallas. It has been a great daily driver! Now that Dodge has improved the Avenger, would they consider in making an SRT 6 version? So far it has not been included in the SRT line up. Why not? I think it would make a very interesting model. :)

• Arizona Pat
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

SRT stroker naturally aspirated faster than a 5.7 with Paxton supercharger. More torque more get up and go. Just changer the suspension now I have a ride

• SoCal Challengers
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Many of our members have the SRT and have done the SRT Track Experience and love both! Nice article.

• peteMT
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

I almost bought a used Charger SRT last summer but held out.

For?

The hope that the 2011 or 2012 Charger SRT will have a 6 speed manual.

I see the red interior, and it makes my checkbook ache with anticipation.

• Doc Holliday
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

I have 2 SRT6’s, and have owned an SRT8 Grand Cherokee. Love them all. You guys have pretty much ruled out the SRT6 since they are no longer made. Too bad, there are a lot us around, some own SRT8 vehicles as well, but don’t forget us. Ya hear!